The Process of Fluid Loss and Dehydration in Young Athletes
- As a young athlete exercises, muscles generate heat and raise core body temperature.
- In response, the body dissipates excess heat by sweating.
- Fluid is also lost during respiration.
- When the fluid is not replaced, it can lead to dehydration.
- Blood volume circulating throughout the body decreases in a dehydrated state.
- Decreased circulation affects the amount of oxygenated blood reaching muscles and organs.
- Without proper oxygenation, muscle fatigue and exhaustion set in, affecting performance and increasing the risk of injury.
This infographic was created by Axio Athletic, a provider of custom fastpitch softball uniforms