If you’re fortunate enough to have a fireplace you should definitely take the time to add some decorative touches to it – not just during the cold months when you are using it for warmth; you should decorate your fireplace year round. Depending on the style of the space and of your fireplace you may choose to go with elegant decor or a charming chic look, but whatever you do, don’t ignore the chance to make your fireplace a focal point of the room.
Mantel Decorations For Your Fireplace
When decorating your mantel you have lots of options. You can choose to go with a traditional design, such as adding a beautifully framed mirror over the center of your fireplace and placing a candle on each side. This adds balance and symmetry which creates the classic look that so many people love. Make the look your own by adding in collectibles, vases, or even a bouquet of flowers.
But you don’t have to go with the expected. Why not be different? A bowl of citrus fruit can be pretty and add a bit of fragrance to the air. Situate this next to a large plate or platter and perhaps a candle or two to create a unique, sort of eclectic and asymmetrical look.
Another way to ‘be a little different’ is to decorate with feathers. You can choose from feathers that you can find in your own backyard or you can purchase gorgeous peacock feathers. Add these to appropriately sized vases and situate those next to paintings. Add in a few collectables that carry on the theme of the artwork and your mantel can tell a unique story!
The Unused Fireplace
Decorating an unused fireplace can present challenges – after all, a fireplace is a hole in your wall and if you are not going to use it for anything it can seem to be a huge waste – but the truth is, even an unused fireplace can look great, no matter what time of year it is. Some ways to decorate that big empty hole are described below.
- Fill the flame area with a mirror. This will add light to the room and if you add a pretty rug in front of the hearth it will be reflected in the mirror.
- Use the space for a small indoor garden area. This can be a great place for plants – it keeps them all in one spot and they look fabulous against the backdrop. Whether you have one spectacular plant to display or an entire collection, your fireplace creates a magnificent built-in ‘display case’ for showing off your green thumb. And if you don’t have a green thumb you can always purchase a silk plant or flower arrangement – those will look great too!
- Use the space to showcase a collection of vases or other items that come in various sizes.
- Use electric logs for the ambiance – these logs give the glow and the look of a real fire and can be used year round.
- Display candles of various sizes and shapes in the fireplace area.
- Add a cool night light to the fireplace
With a little creativity any fireplace can be a true design feature of your home year round.